The WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (JMP) has reported country, regional and global estimates of progress on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) since 1990. The JMP maintains an extensive global database and has become the leading source of comparable estimates of progress at national, regional and global levels. The 2015 update marked the end of the Millennium Development Goal period and the 2017 update established baseline estimates for monitoring the new Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) targets.
The JMP 5 year strategy (2016-2020) focuses on further enhancing global monitoring of drinking water, sanitation and hygiene in the context of the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The JMP has updated its vision and mission statements in line with the 2030 Agenda, and in 2017 updated its full name to the WHO/UNICEF Joint Programme for Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene.
Vision: progressive realization of universal access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and the reduction of inequalities in service levels by 2030
Mission: to produce reliable estimates of national, regional and global progress on WASH to inform decision making by government, donor and civil society organisations
- Normative role: to develop indicators and methods for enhanced monitoring of WASH
- Global data custodian: to maintain global databases and produce reliable estimates of status and trends, including progress towards SDG targets
- Country engagement: to provide guidance and tools to support countries to collect, analyse and report progress on WASH
- Integrated monitoring: to collaborate on analysis of interlinkages between WASH and related SDG targets
The JMP Team
The JMP team consists of four full time professional staff, two part time professional staff and two part time administrative assistants. The JMP also employs short term consultants for specific tasks. The JMP is overseen jointly by the Coordinator of the Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Health unit at WHO, the Chief of the Data and Analytics Section and the Chief of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Section at UNICEF.
Current full-time members of the JMP team
- Tom Slaymaker (Sr Statistics & Monitoring Specialist - WASH, UNICEF)
- Richard Johnston (Technical Officer - WASH, WHO)
- Robert Bain (Statistics & Monitoring Specialist, UNICEF)
- Francesco Mitis (Technical Officer Statistics, WHO)
Strategic Advisory Group
The JMP/GLAAS Strategic Advisory Group (SAG) was established in 2009 to provide independent advice on the continued development of the JMP as a the custodian of global data on drinking water, sanitation and hygiene. It meets twice every year and comprises leading experts in the field of drinking water, sanitation and hygiene as well as experts in statistics and global monitoring. SAG members are typically invited to serve as independent experts for a three year term (Terms of Reference).
Current members of the JMP/GLAAS SAG
- Luis Andres
- Jamie Bartram
- David Bradley
- Clarissa Brocklehurst (Chair)
- Barbara Evans
- Dragana Jovanovic
- Pali Leholha
- Mike Mueller
- Peter Mutale
- Gérard Payen
- Rinchen Wangdi